Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Excerpt & Giveaway: The Wild Ones by M. Leighton


M. Leighton is such a fantastic author! I have read some of her YA books and loved them. I bought this when it came out but haven'd had a chance to read it. I hear about it all the time and I think I'll have to move it up my list. I hope you enjoy the excerpt below :-)



**MATURE CONTENT ADVISORY: May not be suitable for younger readers**

Passion as hot as midnight in the South and love as wild as the horses they tame.

Camille “Cami” Hines is the darling daughter of the South’s champion thoroughbred breeder, Jack Hines. She has a pedigree that rivals some of her father’s best horses. Other than feeling a little suffocated at times, Cami thought she was pretty happy with her boyfriend, her life and her future.

But that was before she met Patrick Henley.

“Trick” blurs the lines between what Cami wants and what is expected of her. He’s considered the “help,” which is forbidden fruit as far as her father is concerned, not to mention that Trick would be fired if he ever laid a hand on her. And Trick needs his job. Desperately. His family depends on him.

The heart wants what the heart wants, though, and Trick and Cami are drawn to each other despite the obstacles. At least the ones they know of.

When Trick stumbles upon a note from his father, it triggers a series of revelations that could ruin what he and Cami have worked so hard to overcome. It turns out there’s more to Trick’s presence at the ranch than either of them knew, secrets that could tear them apart.


 The lead singer and guitar player, Collin, walks to the microphone. “All right, all right, all right,” he says in his best Matthew McConaughey drawl. “We’re one man short, but I think we could go ahead and get started if y’all can help me talk our friend, Trick, into coming up and filling in for a song
or two. Come on up, Trick.”

Every eye in the crowd turns toward the foot of the stage. Trick is there. He starts shaking his head and backing away from the stage, his hands held up in a STOP sign.

“Aw, come on, man. Do it for the people. They’re here to rock and roll. Let’s give ‘em what they want.”

He’s still shaking his head, even though several guys around him are pushing him toward the stage.

“Let’s hear it for Trick, everybody!” Collin shouts. “Trick! Trick! Trick!”

The crowd joins the chant and Trick looks around, a slow smile curving his lips. For just a moment, his eyes meet mine. I look away before Brent notices.

“Yeah!” Collin yells as the crowd starts clapping.

I look back toward the front. Trick is walking onto the stage. Someone hands him a bass guitar and he puts the strap around his neck. He takes the pick and starts testing the tune of the instrument. The crowd quiets until they hear the familiar chords of Cat Scratch Fever begin to emerge. Then they go wild.

Walking to the front of the stage, Trick strums out the notes effortlessly. When his solo riff is over, the rest of the band chimes in, beginning with the heavy beat of the drum. Girls start screaming, guys start hollering and I can’t help but smile.

I’m really beginning to enjoy myself when, all the way across the throng of partiers, Trick looks up and his eyes meet mine. I am a deer caught in the headlights. I am a girl charmed by the cobra. I am breathless and mesmerized.

And then he grins.

Just like that, I’m his. Whether he knows it or not.

About the Author

New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, M. Leighton, is a native of Ohio. She relocated to the warmer climates of the South, where she can be near the water all summer and miss the snow all winter. Possessed of an overactive imagination from early in her childhood, Michelle finally found an acceptable outlet for her fantastical visions: literary fiction. Having written over a dozen novels, these days Michelle enjoys letting her mind wander to more romantic settings with sexy Southern guys, much like the one she married and the ones you'll find in her latest books. When her thoughts aren't roaming in that direction, she'll be riding horses, swimming in ponds and experiencing life on a ranch, all without leaving the cozy comfort of her office.

Contact M. Leighton 
Social Media links: 
Twitter: @MLeightonBooks 

Links to find/buy book







a Rafflecopter giveaway


10 comments:

  1. OOOOOO......I want to read this!!!! Regardless if I win or not, I will be getting this book. Thank you for the chance to win!

    cmucha319@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win. I am going to have to save up and get this one. It sounds amazing.

    jeepforme1923 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-Hoo,Looks like a very naughty book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! This sounds really good! Crossing my fingers! :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one. I just read one of her books and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thx so much for the giveaway. I don't tweet so I didnt enter those. *angel hugz*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this author. I really want to win this. Thanks for the opportunity to win at this giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by In Wonderland! It's a new design, if you want check out http://designbythereadingfish.blogspot.com/ Ishita does a wonderful job! hope to see you around!
    xo Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, but i see you already have, haha. love it! :]
      and new follower here. also, thanks for letting me know that my email subscription wasn't working right, Ishita is trying to fix it.
      xo

      Delete